The agenda for the Historic Preservation Board meeting of July 8th includes the schedule for further consideration of possible changes to the existing ordinance as follows:
- August 12 – Historic Preservation Board regular meeting with draft ordinance review (citizen group comments may be available at this meeting)
- September 9 – Historic Preservation Board regular meeting, receive and final recommendations from the citizen group
- Community Forums in late September
- October 7 – Special Historic Preservation Board meeting to consider any amendments
- October 14 – Historic Preservation Board regular meeting to approve the ordinance and final report
- November 9 – Ordinance amendment review at City Commission.
I will comment as the above process moves forward and encourage all those who value their right to redevelop their property on an equal basis with their fellow residents to keep advocating for a purely voluntary historic designation process. Consider attending all regular Historic Preservation Board meetings and speak to this priority when public input is taken.
We can best serve the purpose of legitimate historic preservation through encouraging voluntary participation and by insisting on high standards of historic recognition. Click here for more information.
Regards, Pete Weldon